The Ordre des dentistes du Québec has adopted the Règlement sur la formation continue obligatoire des dentistes, since it considers continuing education to be a critical tool for dentists to update, improve or expand the knowledge and skills required for the practice of the profession or to fill existing gaps of a general nature as identified by the Order.

The Regulation came into effect on April 1, 2020. As of this date, dentists must earn a minimum of 90 continuing education units (CEU) during the reference period of three years, which runs from April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2023.

The frequently asked questions provides basic information on the requirements and application of the Regulation.

The information herein does not constitute legal advice, nor is it an interpretation of the Regulation. It is your duty to familiarize yourself with the Regulation as a whole and to comply with the requirements it sets out.

If you have any questions, please contact the Ordre des dentistes du Québec by phone at 514-875-8511,extension 2290 (Toll-free 1 800 361-4887), or by email at


Who is subject to the requirements of the Regulation?

All members listed on the Roll of the Order have the obligation to comply with the requirements of the Regulation. This includes both active and inactive members, with the exception of members who obtain an exemption (sections 14 and 15 of the Regulation).

What are my obligations regarding continuing education?

You must earn 90 CEU per reference period of three years1, including a minimum of 15 CEU per year (section 3 of the Regulation)..
    As of March 31, 2023, you will need to have earned 90 CEU as follows:

  • Block of 30 CEU2 earned by participating in the following eligible activities (sections 5, 8 and 9 of the Regulation):
    • Activities offered, organized or mandated by the Order, including the Journées dentaires internationales du Québec;
    • Activities offered by organizations and establishments recognized by the Order;
    • Theoretical or clinical instruction in a faculty of dentistry or university-affiliated hospital (maximum of 5 CEU per year – part time and maximum of 10 CEU per year – full time);
    • Research approved by a research ethics committee, which is duly constituted by a recognized organization and complies with established standards (maximum of 20 CEU per three years);
    • Contribution to the editing, drafting and publication of articles or papers related to the profession in peer-reviewed scientific journals (maximum of 10 CEU per three years).

  • Block of 60 CEU earned by participating in the following eligible activities (sections 5 and 9 of the Regulation):
    • Activities that best meet your training needs and that are related to the practice of the profession (in-class courses, online training, seminars, symposia, conferences, hands-on workshops or discussion groups); to be eligible, these activities must meet the criteria determined by the Order;
    • Activities as an instructor of in-class courses, online training, seminars, symposia, hands-on workshops or discussion groups; to be eligible, these activities must meet the criteria determined by the Order (3 CEU for each hour devoted to preparing the activity for a maximum of 10 CEU per three years). Each activity can only be counted once during the reference period;
    • personal readings on the practice of the profession (maximum of 10 CEU per three years).
  • Minimal obligations per reference period of three years (article 3 of the Regulation):

    • Earn a minimum of 15 CEU per year;
    • Earn a minimum of 3 CEU for an activity on ethics and professional conduct related to the practice of the profession;
    • Earn a minimum of 3 CEU for initial or refresher training on basic or advanced cardiovascular pulmonary resuscitation, including the use of an external automated defibrillator, delivered by a certified organization or instructor;
    • Complete any training activity mandated by the Order.
1 The same training activity can only be counted once during the reference period.
2 Additional CEU earned under the 30-CEU block can be transferred to the 60-CEU block.

Which organizations and establishments are recognized by the Order for the purpose of earning the 30 CEU required (section 8 of the Regulation)?

  • Faculties of dentistry whose diplomas give recipients access to the permits and specialist certificates delivered by the Order, faculties of dentistry whose diplomas are recognized as equivalent to diplomas that give recipients access to the permits and specialist certificates delivered by the Order, their university-affiliated hospital centres and the French universities listed in Appendix I of the Règlement d’application de l’Entente entre le Québec et la France en matière de reconnaissance mutuelle des qualifications professionnelles.
  • Canadian regulatory agencies (e.g., the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario, Collège des médecins du Québec, Ordre des dentistes du Québec Dentoform and the Journées dentaires internationales du Québec). 
  • Canadian dental or medical associations recognized by the Order (e.g., Canadian Dental Association, Association des chirurgiens dentistes du Québec, Canadian Medical Association).
  • Canadian or international associations and federations of dental specialists recognized by the Order (e.g., Association internationale des orthodontistes francophones).
  • Dental societies of Québec.
  • Conseil interprofessionnel du Québec.
  • Organizations and trainers certified to provide basic or advanced CPR training, including the use of an Automated External Defibrillator are: the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, St. John Ambulance, Lifesaving Society and the Canadian Red Cross.
  • Organizations, establishments and instructors certified to deliver training on ethics and professional conduct related to the practice of the profession and meets the criteria presented in article 9 of the Regulation.
  • Establishments of the Quebec health and social services network.
  • The Canadian Armed Forces.

What criteria does the Order use to determine eligible continuing education activities that entitle dentists to earn CEU (section 9 of the Regulation)?

The Order uses the following criteria to determine whether a continuing education activity can entitle dentists to CEU:
  • The content of the activity;
  • The relationship between the activity and the practice of the profession;
  • The objectives of the activity;
  • The qualifications of the instructor on the topic taught;
  • As relevant, the quality of training documents;
  • As relevant, the post-activity evaluation;
  • The certificate of attendance.

When does the first reference period of the new Regulation start and when does it end?

The new Regulation came into effect on April 1, 2020. Consequently, the first reference period started on April 1, 2020 and will end on March 31, 2023.


Is it possible to obtain an exemption and be released, in whole or in part, from the obligation of earning the required CEU (sections 13 and following of the Regulation)?

You may be exempted from taking part in continuing education activities if you meet one of the following criteria:

  • You have not practised dentistry as defined by the Dental Act for the entire reference period.
  • You are registered in a full-time graduate program offered by a recognized faculty of dentistry or in a study program related to the profession offered by a university-affiliated hospital.
  • You are no longer engaging in professional activities for one of the following reasons:
    • Illness;
    • Pregnancy or maternity, paternity or parental leave;
    • Caregiver leave as defined by the Act respecting labour standards;
    • Exceptional circumstances;
    • A stay outside Canada lasting more than 12 consecutive months during the reference period.

Exceptional circumstances do not include the cancellation, suspension or limitation of a dentist’s right to practice by the Disciplinary Council, Professions Tribunal or Board of Directors.

How do I obtain an exemption? ?

To obtain an exemption and be released in whole or in part from the obligation of earning the required CEU, please forward to the Order your request in writing using the following form and provide the following:
  • The duration of the exemption;
  • All supporting documents.

When the Order grants an exemption, it sets the applicable duration and conditions. The Order will determine the number of CEU you will need to earn in order to meet your obligations and will inform you in this respect.

As soon as there is a change in the situation that justified your initial exemption, you will need to let the Order know.


When and how do I report my CEU?

You can, at any time, and no later than April 30 of each year thereafter, report your CEU in your individual continuing education file, which is available on the Order’s Website.

For each training activity completed, you must enter the following information:

  • The title of the training activity;
  • The date and length of the activity;
  • The name of the organization, establishment or instructor;
  • The number of CEU earned for the activity.

Due to the current health crisis, the Order decided to prematurely end, as of March 31, 2020, the application of the Policy on Continuing Education.
Under the circumstances, and while not a requirement of the Order, you can, at your discretion, enter in your individual file all the CEU you have earned for continuing education activities during the reference period that ran from July 1, 2017 to March 31, 2020.

In accordance with the Regulation in effect since April 1, 2020, the CEU earned for activities that will be completed between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021 must be reported by April 30, 2021, and subsequently, by April 30 of each year thereafter, until 2023.

As required in section 11 of the Regulation, you must keep a record of all supporting documents for training completed, including certificates of attendance issued by the organizations, establishments and instructors. These documents must remain available for consultation by the Order at its request for a period of six years following the end of the reference period.

How will the Order be checking the CEU earned by dentists?

Starting on May 1, 2021, and each year thereafter, the Order will check the CEU reported by its members to ensure their compliance with the requirements of the Regulation.

In addition, as part of the professional inspection program, the Order may at any time ask to see the documents and information attesting to the participation of dentists in training activities, as reported in their file.

When do I have to enter my courses in my continuing education register?

The Order is asking members to enter their courses completed since April 1, 2020, the new reporting period, in their continuing education records. If the member wishes to enter his or her courses taken in the last reference period, i.e., before April 1, 2020, he or she is free to do so, but this is not required by the Ordre.

I am having problems accessing the continuing education register. What should I do?

You can not access this portal since you are not using the most recent version of your browser. In order to maintain a suitable level of security for members, the ODQ recommends that you use the most recent version of one of the following browsers:

Please note that internet explorer is not supported by our portal.

How can I report my participation in a university course?

When taking a university course, only those hours dedicated to the didactic portion of the class are eligible for continuing education units. For example a one-credit course can have 15 hours of instruction, excluding the time spent in labs, hands-on assignments, personal work, internships and exams. To determine the exact number of units you are allowed to report, refer to the hours mentioned in the course syllabus. For the hours to be eligible, the course must have been successfully completed within a single regulatory period. The date of completion is the official date on which the final grade is issued.


  • the topic of the course must be relevant to the practice of your profession
  • the course must involve the issuing of a transcript

The supporting documents you need to keep that prove your participation in a continuing education activity:

  • transcripts demonstrating the successful completion of the course
  • the course syllabus

The course hours must be entered manually in your continuing education register.

Please note that residencies and specialty programs are not eligible for continuing education units. However, in the case of a full-time program, you can request an exemption from the continuing education requirement. To learn more about exemptions, click HERE.

I took the training on vaccination. What organization should I select when entering it into my continuing education register?

Please select: Vaccination – Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux (MSSS).

Why aren’t my Dentoform training activities automatically recorded in my continuing education register?

All training activities completed, even those offered through Dentoform, must be manually entered into your register. .


Which cardiopulmonary resuscitation training course does the Order recognize?

Even during the pandemic, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) training for health professionals continues to be available, with special precautions being taken by the organizations providing them.

* The CPR training offer may vary (face-to-face courses or a combination of virtual and face to face). Please note that CPR courses offered in virtual mode only are not recognized by the Order. Some organizations can provide training at your clinic if the number of participants is sufficient. Be sure to ask about this option.

Where should I take my CPR training?

Here are the organizations recognized under the Regulation on Mandatory Continuing Education of Dentists: 
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada
Saint John Ambulance
Canadian Red Cross
Lifesaving Society

* Please note that you can take CPR training with another organization as long as it is certified by one of the organizations recognized by the Order in the list above. The qualification or certification card issued by the training provider must mention this certification. In addition, when entering your continuing education units into the register, you will need to indicate the name of the certifying organization, not the name of the training organization.

For example, if you took the course with 123 CPR, an organization recognized by Saint John Ambulance, you will need to enter Saint John Ambulance into the register, not 123 CPR.

Minimum required training
Certification The card issued at the end of your training will serve as proof of certification.

I’ve entered my CPR training in the continuing education register. Why didn’t the bullet turn green to indicate that this task has been completed?

You must first select CPR as the activity type. In addition, the CPR training must be completed with a certifying organization recognized by the Order (see question 13 in the FAQ). Make sure you select the organization from the drop-down menu rather than manually entering a new organization.


Où puis-je trouver une formation en éthique et déontologie, comme l’exige le Règlement?

The Order is currently working with an expert to develop a training course in ethics and professional conduct that will let you earn at least three continuing education units, as required by the Regulation. This training from the Order will be mandatory and offered free of charge on Dentoform in the coming months. More details will follow.


I watched the JDIQ recording on Dentoform pertaining to panoramic imaging and its interpretation, but I still don’t see listed it in my continuing education register. Is this normal?

Yes. The JDIQ recordings have a different status than the courses offered by the Order. They are considered personal readings. As a result, no certificate of completion is associated to this activity. To enter this training in your continuing education register under personal readings, you simply need to indicate the date, title and length of the recording.